News
Trending

Oyo school abduction: Terrorists reportedly open communication with state gov

Allegedly demand to speak with only governor

Boko Haram
Boko Haram

 

Suspected terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from three communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have reportedly opened a line of communication with the state government.

Sources familiar with the development disclosed to the Punch that the abductors insisted on speaking only with the governor, refusing to negotiate directly with relatives of the victims.

According to one of the sources, the kidnappers made it clear that discussions would only take place with representatives of the government, although details of their demands remain undisclosed.

Another insider described the communication as a positive development, noting that it offered some hope despite the tense situation.

Authorities are reportedly keeping details of the discussions confidential to avoid jeopardising efforts to secure the safe release of the victims.

When contacted, the Special Adviser to Governor Seyi Makinde on Security, Abayomi Fagbenro, declined to provide details on the matter.

Fear grows over children held by terrorists

The victims, including teachers and very young pupils, were abducted last Friday from schools located in Esinele, Yamota and Alawusa communities.

The operation was carried out by a faction of Boko Haram displaced from their base in the north, according to the Nigerian Army.

Residents said anxiety has continued to grow as the captives have now spent over a week in the custody of the attackers.

Community sources expressed concern that the rainy season could worsen conditions for the victims, especially the toddlers, who are reportedly among those abducted.

Locals also alleged that the gunmen were moving the captives through forest routes and neighbouring areas to avoid security operations.

A community leader who spoke anonymously said residents remained deeply worried because there had been no confirmed information about the condition or whereabouts of the victims.

Schools witness sharp decline in attendance

The abduction has triggered fear across Ogbomoso and nearby communities, leading to a significant drop in school attendance.

Investigations revealed that many parents have stopped sending their children to both public and private schools over security concerns.

Teachers in several affected communities said classrooms had become nearly empty since the incident occurred.

One teacher explained that panic spread further after students at a secondary school reportedly mistook hunters in a nearby bush for terrorists, causing chaos within the school environment.

The confusion allegedly led to a tragic road accident involving a pupil, while reports also claimed the child’s mother later died from shock after hearing the news.

Another teacher disclosed that attendance continued to decline throughout the week, with many schools dismissing pupils early because of widespread fear.

Some teachers reportedly stayed away from work entirely on Friday to honour a colleague who was killed during the attack.

Parents keep children at home

Teachers in different communities said several parents informed schools that their children would remain at home until security improved.

One teacher said fewer than 20 pupils attended classes on some days following the attack.

Another educator, identified as Oyeyemi, said panic among parents had worsened due to rumours circulating online.

She noted that many parents now withdraw their children from school before closing hours because of fear of another attack.

According to her, teachers are also traumatised by reports that two of their colleagues were killed by the terrorists during the incident.

Teachers express fear over safety

Education workers across the area said the killings had intensified fear among teachers, especially those working in rural communities.

One teacher admitted that some staff members were considering avoiding remote schools for the time being because of security concerns.

Others called on security agencies to increase protection around schools located near forests and isolated communities.

They stressed that both teachers and pupils now live in constant fear following the abduction.

Oyo government blames fake videos for panic

The Oyo State Commissioner for Information, Dotun Oyelade, said misinformation on social media had contributed to rising tension in affected communities.

He accused some bloggers of sharing misleading videos capable of creating unnecessary panic among residents.

According to him, the government has continued efforts to reassure residents and strengthen security measures across the state.

 

Read Also: Tears as burial of shot Oyo teacher begins amid outrage over school attack 

Olu Adeyemi

Accomplished journalist with decades of experience spanning print and digital media.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button