BusinessMetro
Trending

Paystack sends Ezra Olubi packing over misconduct allegations

Olubi threatens legal action

Co-founder of Paystack Ezra Olubi
Co-founder of Paystack, Ezra Olubi

Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer of Paystack, Ezra Olubi, has revealed that he has been sacked by the company.

He said in a statement that he would be pursuing legal action against the company over his dismissal from the company he helped to found and grow.

It would be recalled that Paystack sent Olubi on suspension after a lady accused him of sexual misconduct, which went viral on social media, particularly X (Twitter).

Netizens later unearthed old tweets of the techprenueur that raise serious moral and ethical questions about him.

Days after his suspension, Paystack has now terminated his contract. The company had earlier announced that a formal investigation was underway and that it would refrain from further comment until the process was completed.

Ezra Olubi alleges unfairness

Olubi is now alleging that his employment was “terminated unfairly” before the investigation could be concluded.

Ezra Olubi alleged that the company’s decision had created room for assumption and had misrepresented his character as posited on social media.

He said his name and reputation as co-founder and technical leader at Paystack, had been called into question because of information circulating online.

Olubi recalled that the Board of Directors of Paystack placed him on suspension and instituted an ‘independent’ investigation. 

He said he refrained from making any statement because of that process so that it would not appear as if he was interfering with the investigation.\

Olubi said he expected a fair, thorough, and unbiased review of the allegations being discussed online.  

Trouble had started for the controversial technopreneur on 12 October, when an X user who claimed to have been in a relationship with Mr Olubi posted a series of allegations online.

This led to people digging into Olubi’s past where they found tweets from 2010, where  he made sexually explicit jokes and comments referencing co-workers, minors, and animals.

On Thursday, 13 November, Paystack responded, announcing the suspension of Olubi from all duties pending a comprehensive review.

The company said it would appoint an independent third-party investigator to probe the allegations.

Olubi is now saying that the decision to sack him was not fair as he was not given an opportunity to respond to the issues raised.

He said those who knew him personally or professionally understood that the posts being circulated did not reflect his conduct or the way he had lived his life. 

“I have always, to the best of my ability, conducted myself in a manner that respects everyone’s dignity and safety” he said.

Olu Adeyemi

Accomplished journalist with decades of experience spanning print and digital media.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button